Here is the content of the speech I delivered on ” Why I am the Woman Behind the Men” at the Plano Chamber of Commerce on October 7th, 2011.
As you know, my name is Holly Kreisner and I am the owner of Mr. Fixit Fast. You also know that I am the ‘woman behind the men between you and home improvement.’ What you may not realize is why this is so important. I know it is a catchy phrase that often gets a few laughs, but there is more to it than meets the eye. Today I would like to reveal some of the details and responsibilities of being the woman behind the men.
- In choosing someone to add to my team they must provide references and information for a criminal check. As I have told you in the past, 7 out of 10 applicants do not pass a criminal background check in this line of work. So the next time you consider a random person in any trade, or someone who has left a card on your door, please remember these statistics. I have met everyone from a child molester to a forger and the scary thing is they were the nicest people you will ever meet. In the case of criminal background checks, I am the woman behind the men.
- I have insurance. There are many insurance agents in this chamber so I don’t need to tell you that accidents will happen. Take the example of one of my contractors. He is a great guy, no criminal history, does excellent work, but has no insurance. He does however take jobs on the side when he goes back home (he is from Colorado). Imagine if an accident happens, with no insurance the burden completely rests on the homeowner. In the case of Insurance, I am the woman behind the men.
- My guys can communicate. As part of the interview process, each applicant must fill out a long application over the internet, so written as well as verbal skills are paramount to do the job. If you cannot express what you want and need to our staff how can they perform the tasks to your requirements? In addition, if a miscommunication does occurs a homeowner can always speak directly to me to get things straightened out. Verbal Communication, another way I am the woman behind the men.
- And speaking of written communication, all estimates are free and all are put into writing along with contracts for larger projects that protect everyone involved. Smaller estimates are left on sight and larger ones are emailed soon thereafter. Typed and easy to understand. Written Communication, another way I am the woman behind the men.
- Lastly, I guarantee our work. People are not perfect and products do not always work they should, when it is our responsibility in a reasonable time frame we will do our best to satisfy every customer in any way we can. The men may come and go but I will stand behind their work. Customer Satisfaction, probably the most important way I am the woman behind the man.
So here it is in a nutshell. Imagine this. Let’s say you hire someone to install some lighting fixtures. They left a card on your door. Here is what you can expect statistically:
- They have a criminal background
- They have no insurance
When you go to a Dr. to work on yourself you are discerning about who you choose. When you choose someone to work on your car, you also care that they are reputable, knowledgeable and will stand behind their work. Your home is your most expensive/valuable asset. It should follow that the people working on it should be tradesman with years of experience that are literate and professional at what they do.
Mr. Fixit Fast is celebrating its 2nd anniversary this month and I sincerely thank all of you for the opportunity to serve you.